Question
Posted by: Rina | 2007/12/17

Weight problem

I had cortisone treatment about a year ago. I had an injection and about a month and a half of taking tablets. The treatment was for severe allergies. I gained a lot of weight - 18kg. I have been unable to lose the weight eversince. I have had blood tests - sugar levels, thyroid, you name it - all is normal. I am following a low fat diet as prescribed by a dietician. I also walk between 5-10km per day (ave 8) - 6 times a week. What else can I possibly do? The only medication I am on is Yasmin and Lorano (for hayfever). I am desperate and starting to get very depressed.
My family is judging me and I don't know how to defend myself anymore. Please give advice!

Hallo Rina
You are doing everything right - it may take 4-5 months to lose 18 kg, so be patient with yourself - and don't weigh yourself, measure yourself - as you exercise you build muscle that increases your metabolism and if you weigh yourself, you may think that you are not losing any fat - but in the meantime the fat is replaced by muscle tissue!