Question
Posted by: Mamsie | 2004/02/16

Weight problem

Hi Dietdoc, I'm a 25year old female,my height is 1,65 and my weight is 71kg.My problem is that I don't feel comfortable with my weight.I would like to weigh at least 60kg.What is it that I have to do in order for me to loose this weight.Or for someone with my height,how much do I have to weigh.

Dear Mamsie
Your present BMI = 26, which is above the upper limit of the normal range (18-25). Your ideal weight for your height would be 60 kg you mention, but even if you could lose 8 kg it would be good. To lose weight, you need to eat a low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy), and combine it with regular exercise (brisk walking, running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming - anything to get active).

1
Posted by: Nutrition Nut | 2004/02/18

The easiest way to lose a moderate amount of weight and keep it off is to simply cut out the JUNK carbohydrates.

That means you cut out sugar, flour, bread, pasta and so on.

The low-fat evangelists forget to tell you that just because pasta is "low-fat" that it's not ok to go crazy on it.

"Low-fat, high-fibre" is supposed to mean a return to the primitive diet of our ancestors, before agriculture was invented 11 000 years ago or so.

So, quality proteins and fats, vegetables, nuts and berries, and fruit in its season. Whole grains - seldom found in a supermarket and never in a bakery. Drink plenty of water. Take a dietary enzyme supplement and one to add healthy flora to your gut. From your health shop.

Combine that with exercise, and you can lose weight and keep it off without a strain.

Reply to Nutrition Nut