Question
Posted by: Nicky | 2008/08/04

weight plateau

I have seemed to reach a weight plateau, no matter I do or what I eat I can’ t seem to shed the last 3kgs. I have very diligent with my exercise and my diet. I monitor my portion sizes as well the frequency i eat. I have seen a dietician and have followed the diet plan given to me for the last few years. Once every 6 months my dietician changes my diet plan. I also vary my exercise plan often. I weigh 54kgs and my height is 156cm.
Can you please suggest any recommendations to shed these last 3-5kgs.

N

It could be any number of things. It could well be that you have no weight to lose and that your body is happy that you are now at an optimal weight. Your current BMI is 22, and many people won't ever get below that. So maybe those final 3kg represent an incorrect goal, rather than a plateau? Perhaps then, you might be better off changing the focus of your training to fitness and toning, rather than weight loss, and don't even stand on a scale for the next 3 months. You never know, perhaps if you focus on fitness and training, you'll lose that weight anyway?

But I do think that for a while, you might need to reasses your goals, and thus your programme. Look at what you are doing, and perhaps consider making changes that might see you doing more higher intensity training, perhaps lifting slightly heavier weights etc.