Question
Posted by: Chinez | 2004/10/08

Weight management

Hi Doc,

I have been excersing for the past five months and managed to lose 5 kg. I am now puzzled that I have began gaining weight. I exrcise 5x a week alternating 1 hr advanced taebo with 1 hour jogging every other day. I am following a heathly eating lifestyle(high fiber and low fat, i am not doing any fad diets). When I started exersing I weighed 68 kg and managed to go down to 62kg, right now I have gained 2kg! Can you please explain to me why am I mysteriously gaining weight now.By the way i am a female, 1.65m. My target weight is 60 kg.

Dear Chinez
I agree that your target weight is 60 kg which would give you an ideal BMI of 22. It is difficult to say why you have suddenly re-gained 2 kg. It could be due to the fact that you have unconsciously increased your food intake - at the start of this weight loss programme you may have been eating less and have slowly increased your food intake. Check carefully to see if this could be the case. You could also be increasing your percentage of muscle tissue which weighs more than fat tissue. Continue with your programme as it seems to be successful, but do check on your food intake.