Question
Posted by: Sonia | 2007/08/14

Weight Loss while Lactating

I would like to know how to loose weight while lactating as i seem to be picking up weight while doing so and not loosing like some women i've heard about. I've also had the Mirena putt in so might that have an effect on my weight loss? I lost substantially after my child was born but have piced weight up again. I'm soo fed up... Please give a girl some advice...

Dear Sonia
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. Breastfeeding your child is the single most important gift you can give a child which will have a positive effect on the child's future health for the rest of its life and even prevent problems like obesity in future. It is, therefore, not a good idea for you to go on a strict diet while breastfeeding or to engage in strenuous exercise. The Mirena does not have an effect on weight. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), BUT add another 2 cups of fat-free milk, or yoghurt, or 1 cup of fat-free cottage cheese a day to the permitted foods to ensure that you and baby obtain sufficient calcium (1200 mg per day). You can also stimulate your metabolism moderately by taking baby for walks in a pram every day for 30 min.
Don't overdo the dieting or the exercise until you have breastfed your child for at least 6 months.
Enjoy the baby