Question
Posted by: Des | 2008/01/21

Weight loss - too costly

I need to lose at least 30 kg and I hear what everyone says about healthy eating and exercise. My question is how do you afford healthy food if your income is either not sufficient or it has to be used for medicine and other financial commitments. At the end of the month what I have left over is hardly enough for the basics.
Weigh Less and other programmes cost money.Starving is not healthy so where do you go from here?.

Dear Des
To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). This diet does not cost more than your normal food intake and if you either start walking or skipping, you won't need to spend money on exercise either. Losing weight can be very inexpensive.

1
Posted by: Roki | 2008/01/21

How much are you prepared to spend. i spend R250 a week for me and my husband and 2 children. it depends really.

i buy fruits and veges from WOOLIES because its of good quality. their lettuce lasts 2 full weeks. and then the other suppliments are buy from dischem. they've got dischem range SALMON oil 365 capsules whihc will last a year. so its once off payment once again. So its really about strategy. knowing what you need and how best can you accomodate it within your budget. yes it does costs but it takes some compromises here and there because the benefits are enourmous.

all the best!

Reply to Roki