Posted by: Dustin | 2008/08/01

Weight loss supplements

Hi there,

I am a 20 year old male and i am a spin instructor, 178cm height and i weigh 83kgs. I have always been very anti-supplements. I only take a USN Pure Protein shake or a USN Whey Protein shake. Many of my friends take other supplements such as Phedra-Cut and Muscle Grow, but none of them can acyually give me good advice on the topic of supplements. I guess we all have different goals. I started gyming about 3 years ago and have slowly lost about 25kgs. However, I can' t seem to lose my last little bit of weight to et to my goal. I would like to lose my little flabby tummy and maybe a bit of fat off my legs. But I don' t want to lose muscle mass. A friend of mine has recommended that I maybe try USN CLA Green Tea caps as this is more natural? But as I said, I' ve always been sceptical of these supplements. I don' t want to put chemicals into my body that will mess up my system after I stop taking them. What would you advise?

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Dustin

Well done so far! I am glad that you have the outlook that you have – there is no point in messing up your body’s natural functioning however, when certain supplements are used correctly there is a place for them.
The first step is always your diet. You are most probably not loosing that last bit of fat as your diet is not correct for your goal. You will need to start by calculating what your daily calorie need should be for the weight you want to be and add calories for your training program and daily activity. If I use 80 kg and my own assumptions you will need about 2400 – 2500 calories per day. If you want to loose weight and specifically body fat you need to consume less calories than what your body needs and if you want to build muscle you will need about 15% extra calories and be in a positive protein balance, which constitutes about 2,5-3g protein per kilogram of body weight to do so. Thus you can see it is very difficult to achieve both at the same time. Therefore first achieve the one and then go for the other. Alternatively you could consume sufficient protein and be in a slight negative energy balance (max about 500 calories per day) and keep going for a longer time to slowly change your physique.

Divide your energy need into six meals per day with the following ratio: 40 % carbs, 40% protein, and ONLY 20% fat of which most should be good fats (avo, olives, olive oil, safflower oil, nuts and seeds). Once you have dropped your body fat you can increase the carb level up to 50-60% and drop the protein level accordingly. Split these meals into six meals per day – eating about every 3 hours – this keeps the body’s metabolism running.

Now for the supplements – always take a liquid meal = protein & carb combination with is low in fat - this is known as a meal replacement supplement, without stimulants, immediately after your training session. This is where supplements play a role – you cannot depend on a plate of food to digest in time (max 45 min post exercise) to refuel the muscle stores that you have emptied during a training session. The only other place for a meal replacement supplement is when you do not have time to prepare food and you have to increase your protein intake then another one of these servings stands in for you as a snack meal. Lastly you can include a scoop or two of pure whey with your rolled oats in the morning and on its own before bedtime if you need to increase your protein intake – it is just convenience!

I now know you will make a further change – Good Luck!

Take care

Posted by: Jelle9 | 2008/09/08

Oil supplementation ... it' s a healthy alternative to any other fat loss supplement. Lances Omega blend - check it out!

Reply to Jelle9