Question
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/11/07

weight-loss struggler

Hi,I am a runner and I can't seem to loose weight.I have tried a lot of diets and none seem to work,I am quite active.Any suggestions how I can get rid of the extra kilos?

Dear Shaun
If you use elite athletes as your example, such as the Tour de France cyclists, then you will understand that you need to eat a diet that is high in carbohydrates and low in fat. These cyclists ingest about 70% of their energy as carbohydrates. The latter combined with their very intensive exercise programme makes them the leanest athletes in the world. If you click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' you will obtain an example of a low-fat, high-carb diet. If you are exercising intensively you can increase the size of the carb portions, to supply you with extra energy at a lower kilojoule level than if you were eating lots of protein and fat. If you are not exercising intensively then increase your aerobic exercise in intensity.