Question
Posted by: Fran | 2005/07/28

weight loss slump

Dear DietDoc

I am 31 years old, female, medium build. I exercise at leat 3 times per week at the gym, combining cardio and strength exercises and I believe I follow a healthy diet (though it sometimes strays over weekends!). My weight hovers between 62 and 65kg. I am 160cm tall and have had one baby 3 years ago. This places my BMI at approximately 24. Even though I know this is an ok, healthy weight, I would still like to have my before pregnancy body back. I really do try very hard, but just can't get under 62kg! I would be happy to be back at a healthy and slightly slimmer 58kg. Any advice? I read the article that states that perhaps this is a healthy weight, but how then do other people my height and build seem thinner? And how can I get rid of this terrible post-baby "jelly belly".

Appreciate the advice,
Fran

Dear Fran
Your present BMI is 24,2 when you weigh 62 kg. Your ideal weight would be 56 kg. To lose additional weight you may need to reduce your energy intake. Try an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). For the jelly belly targeted exercises like sit-ups may assist. Ask your gym instructor to give you a set of exercises that specifically target the abdomen and tummy.

1
Posted by: driver | 2005/07/28

join a gym & start a resistance training regime,this will tone the muscles & help re-sculpt your body,combine it with a good c.v. program for best results.The gym instructors should be able too sort you out a program! also try too eat small portions around 5-6 times a day rather than 2-3 larger meals,this keeps the metabolism working.eat low fat,and low glycemic index carbs(you can find these on the net),always have protein in your meals(essential for muscle maintenance)and avoid sugar,obviously in cakes,sweets etc,but also when hidden in sauces,cereals etc,sugar causes an insulin spike in the blood when digested,the insulin then encourages the body to store fat. hope this helps.

Reply to driver