Question
Posted by: NewMama | 2006/07/28

Weight loss slow down

I've been on a dietician eating plan for about 6 months. I've seen good results but now I'm loosing too less and less. I still need to loose about 5 kg to have a healthy BMI. For exercise I run on treadmill mainly (used to do road also before winter). My questions are:

1.Should I change my exercise routine to see more weight loss. What I do now is alternate between inclise and speed (2-3 times midweek 30-40minutes) then do a longer session (60-75minutes once or twice on weekends). I don't have many alternatives I gym at home. I have a treadmill, old bicycle, old fitness flyer (bike and fly show calories ect).

2.What benefit will I get from consulting a fitness trainer? Will the program they give me require that I join a gym? I prefer to train at home.

3.I also don't feel as worked out as I used to after a session of training. I suspect it's because my pace is low. Any suggestions on how I could pick up pace?

Hi NewMama

It's quite normal to reach a point where weight loss does slow down and so you must not react too strongly to this just yet. I'm curious to know whether when you say your BMI is healthy, whether you mean it is below 25 or are you talking of a specific number, maybe 22? Because if it is 22, then to lose another 5 kg is going to be difficult and you may really struggle no matter what you change in your diet.

Having said that, there are some changes you could make to see if they work. Based on what you are doing now, the one thing you can change is add a fourth day a week into your training - at the momeent you are doing maybe 3 or 4 days a week, five would be a big change and may help quite a bit. That's probably the main one to look at.

The other variables to consider are the type of exercise, but I don't think this is a problem because you are running and cycling already and these are most effective. Finally you could look at intensity but I don't think that you should make very complicated changes here. The main thing is what you say about not being tired. Not that you should be exhausted, but you should feel some effect and so I think that if you included short periods, even for just 2 minutes at a time in your normal 40 minutes jog, for example, then your overall intensity would gradually pick up. For example, in a 40 minute session, you might be able to do 2 minutes at a higher level, followed by 6 minutes at a lower or normal level, 5 times in total. That will really help

As for seeing a fitness trainer

3
Posted by: NewMama | 2006/07/29

Thank you for you responses

Reply to NewMama
Posted by: FitnessDoc rest of the answer | 2006/07/29

Hi again

Sorry about that, I accidentally submitted my answer without finishing it! Too many interupptions at work!

What I was going to say is that if you do see a Fitness Trainer, many do require some sort of gym work, and so far, you have been able to get by without that. I do feel that there may come a time where you do need to do some sort of resistance training - this does not mean having to join a gym, mind you. It does meant that you may need to consider geting some more equipment for the home, maybe some weights, or a pezzi ball. But you can probably cross this bridge at a later stage. for now, it seems to be going OK, perhaps a couple of changes will help you get past this plateau. But as i said, and i see Muscle addict has said, you also need to be sure on your goals, because this BMI issue is not always so cut and dried that you can just say that you must be at 22 or 23, or whatever the case may be.

Good luck (I am finished this time!)

Ross

Reply to FitnessDoc rest of the answer
Posted by: Muscleaddict | 2006/07/28

Unfortunately weight loss is not a very good way to measure progress but that is what we have all learned to strive for when we diet. BMI can be misleading because it does not measure muscle mass. When you start exercising after being out of shape the first few kilos go quite quickly but the more you lose the harder it is to lose that last bit of fat. That is normal.

What usually happens is you burn fat but you gain muscle as well. Muscle weighs more than twice as much as fat and the scale would not reflect this. All you see is that you weight does not change meanwhile you might still be burning fat but have gained muscle mass. Muscle is what helps you burn that unwanted fat.

As you gain muscle your metabolism will speed up and your potential for fat burning increases. However I wouldnt worry about getting too muscular since you are doing lots of cardio and cardio can not give you bulky muscles which most women do not want.

So the plateau you seem to have hit is quite normal. This is the hardest time to keep going and when most people usually give up. Keep up what you are doing and just watch your diet. For fatloss its best to cut all carbs out of your diet after 4/5pm. Good luck!

Reply to Muscleaddict