Question
Posted by: RED | 2007/05/07

Weight Loss problem

I do not eat sugar or drink milk. My energy levels go down when having sugar and I do not like milk. How can I pick up weight without having sugar or drinking milk?

Dear Red
Are you actually sensitive or allergic to milk, or is this just a preference? You can certainly try the recommendations I mention in my articles on 'Weight Gaining'. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone Fresenius on (011) 203-2000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a meal supplement such as Fresubin, with or without fibre, at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. If you find that you cannot gain weight with these tips because of your aversion to milk, then please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will work out a high-energy diet for you that avoids sugar and milk.