Posted by: Hopeless | 2008/08/26

Weight loss not happening

I have been on a low-GI diet for almost 5 weeks now and i have followed it very well. I also trained extensively during the diet. But, i dropped some centimeters but no kg. In fact, i seem to pick up. I now stopped training to see what that would do but still, my weight stays. I need to loose 7 - 8 kg. And at this stage im really desperate and really discouraged.

What could be wrong. I know i dont have any medical problems like thyroid etc. I have never had problems with dieting and could always control my weight. But i dont know whats wrong?

Dear Hopeless
Is the low-GI diet also low in fat? if not, then it could be that you have not actually reduced your energy intake. On the other hand you may be losing fat mass, but not weight because your are building muscle tissue which ironically weighs more than fat tissue (your cm loss indicates that this is so). So ensure that your diet is also low-fat and that you have actually reduced your energy intake by at least 2100 kJ (500 cal) a day and keep up the exercise as this will produce weightloss. Keep on taking your dimensions which will show you that you are losing fat. You may find that you will lose more mass if you concentrate on doing cardio exercise as this burns more energy than working with weights.
Don't give up now.

Posted by: Leonie | 2008/08/27

Diet Doc is spot on. have p[atience and carry on. Your measurments is more important than the scale. you don t have much to loose and it could be that you have build lean muscle and it does weigh more than fat.

Reply to Leonie
Posted by: Hopeless | 2008/08/27

Thank you for the response and inspiration. I have to loose fat mainly around my stomach area and my legs as well. I have done an insulin test and all is normal and ok. As i said, i have never had a problem controlling weight. If ever i picked up a few KG' s, i manage to loose them quickly with dieiting. But at this stage im quite depressed and dissapointed in myself as i dont feel good about myself and im trying so hard, but with no results.

Reply to Hopeless
Posted by: Leonie | 2008/08/26

Hi Hopeless

Have you had your insuline levels checked. Do you have to loose the weight around your middle or every where?

you should not stop training muscle weighs more than fat and in most cases you will pick up weight in the begining but loose cm.

keep well

Reply to Leonie