Question
Posted by: Michelle | 2005/11/24

Weight Loss for children

I have a 7 year old girl. I have had her BMI Levels tested and if they go according to the results she is 10kg overweight. If they go according to the growth charts, she is only 4kg overweight. Her father and his family are all big people. She gets teased at school. She is very active. She doesn't eat a lot. I think I need to put her onto a diet. Please help?

Dear Michelle
If your lassie weighs more than about 22 kg then she need to lose weight. I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will work out a diet for her that permits normal growth, but helps her to lose excess weight. In addition you need to encourage her to be as active as possible (sport, skipping, cycling, swimming, going for walks, jogging, etc).