Question
Posted by: Lee | 2008/01/08

Weight loss and sunstroke

Hi Doc.

I have two questions.

1.I have been losing weight since September.I lost 7kg's then hurt my back (bulgind disc) and couldnt walk for 3 weeks.I then lost another 5 or so kgs.In the weeks that followed, i lost another 6kg's. Over December holidays i lost another 3kg's.19kgs in total. I dont mind the weightloss, because i started out on 112 and now weigh 93.I am planning to lose more.The thing is, i used to drink alot of fizzy drinks and i cut it out. I am 27. Is it possible to just drop weight like that (i was not dieting.Due to my back i couldnt gym,but i had cut down on food) and have nothing wrong with you? I have a sensitive stomach these days though.If i eat then i usually need the loo soon after.Sometimes 3 times a day.

2.I was out in the sun the other day swimming.When i got home the evening i was very cold but my body was hot.No sweat.I woke up during the night very dizzy and nauseous when i went to get water.When i got back to bed i think i passed out.Then 3 nights later the same thing happened so i took some paracetemol before i went to bed.I was cold but hot, no sweat but it wasnt as bad. Was this sunstroke? And how long does it last?

Thanks,
Lee

Hi Lee
Yes cutting out fizzy sugary drinks can make a big difference in the calorie intake, however, I think you need a medical exam just to exclude underlying disease as you really lost weight very fast. ( like thyroid hormone check and blood count test) You may also have a parasitic bowel infection with your stomach symptoms. The hot feeling you get could be a kind of fever and you may have an underlying viral infection.

Symptoms of sunstroke include sudden headache, dizziness, weakness, or fainting. Because your body's thermostat is malfunctioning, you will only sweat a little bit or not at all. The skin is hot and dry. Body temperature can rise to 38.9°C or higher. In severe cases, repeated vomiting and coma can occur.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Charmaine | 2008/10/15

My 16 year old sun had a day in the sun on Saturday and got badly burnt, despite applying sun block. He is extremely lethargic and has headache. He is also complaining of slight shortness of breath. Would these be symptons of sunstroke and what do I do to treat?

Reply to Charmaine