Question
Posted by: Lissa | 2005/11/29

Weight loss and PCO'S

I am 31 years old and have no children. I would like to fall pregnant. I was diagnosed with PCO's earlier in the year. I've picked up at least 10 kg's since then. I'm on gluchophage 850mg twice daily and on the third course of Clomid. I just can not loose the extra weight. I am at a gym but with no success. My Gynae suggested that i should loose some weight. Please he;p me. What can i do????????
Thank you very much for your co-operation.

Dear Lissa
If you suffer from PCOS then you also have insulin resistance (hence the prescription of Glucophage). It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance or diabetes to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your diabetes, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. The use of Clomid can of course also hamper weight loss.
Keep up the good work with the exercise and good luck with falling pregnant.