Question
Posted by: Candy | 2007/02/19

Weight loss and Carbs

Good day

I am on a high protein diet and desperatly trying to loose weight.
I am trying to find out how many carbs i am allowed per day.

Dear Candy
I am sure the other Readers are flooding you with advice. Please be careful with these high-protein diets as they can be harmful. Rather use an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).
Take care

1
Posted by: Y. | 2007/02/19

Hi Candy,

I'm also on a high proteien diet (or actually a low carb diet) - the South Beach diet. On this one the rules are actually fairly loose -
1. Eat all the veggies (including tomatoes, butternut, carrot etc.) that you want.
2. Eat normal portions of meat, fish, chicken, cheese, lentils, and/or beans. (In other words - enough so that you don't feel hungry)
3. Eat at least two portions of low fat/ fat free portions of non-cheese diary - i.e. yoghurt or milk - a day
4. Carbs like potatoes, pasta, porridge, wheat, bread and fruit are severly restricted (i.e. not allowed at all) for only the first two weeks. Thereafter you can incorporate two or three portions of pasta/potatoes/porridge/wheat/bread etc. a WEEK, and one or two portions of fruit a DAY.

I've ignored the part about fruit for the first two weeks - I ate one portion of fruit from the start - and it didn't have any bad effect except for perhaps slowing the initial weight loss down a little.

I eat a couple of slices of bread or a cup of pasta a week and for the rest I stick with proteien-based meals with lots of veggies, some fruit, and lots of nuts, olives and avocado.

I'm also eating two or three squares of chocolate (plain milk or plain white - not with any high sugar fillings like nougat, toffee, crunchy etc.) a day - it helps me stick with the diet.

I've been loosing weight steadily at a rate of about 0.8 to 1.0 kg per week since starting with this diet in December. I find it easy to stick with since it's so lenient. Even at work functions or in a restaurant it's always possible to eat in a accordance with the diet.

Hope this helps!

Reply to Y.