Question
Posted by: Mike | 2004/10/27

Weight loss and Body fat loss

I am wanting to lose weight (currently weigh 88 kg ) for cycling . I have cut out any foods that have high saturated fats and eat 6 small meals a day . I have also started using weights as part of my training more for strength than for body building . I am also doing alot of exercises pertaining to the smomach region . What i would like to know is , the weight had started to come down as well as centimetres off the waist . There has been a slight drop in body fat ( currently 22% ). Who drops first - body weight or body fat or does the body fat play catch up when more weight is lost ?

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike

It sounds very good, particularly because the centimeters are coming off, so that is really good. I would not make the scale the focus - you may not actually lose weight from the training. This happens because your muscle mass goes up and this can cancel out any possible loss of fat. So, the scale might tell you that nothing is changing when in fact you are seeing good results. Therefore, I really think that you are on the right track, as far as exercise goes at least (Diet is always something else, and I don't know yours, and neither am I qualified enough to advise you on the specifics, for that, a dietician is best). So, in the long term, you may find that you lose a bit of weight, but this is going to take some time, because the muscle mass may be going up and then once the fat mass starts coming down, that's when the weight comes off. In the meantime the best thing is to focus on the fitness and the centimeters and let the weight take care of itself.