Question
Posted by: tc | 2008/01/31

Weight loss after pregnancy

Good day

I have gained about 10kg's during my pregnancy. My baby is now 5 weeks old and I have only lost about 5kg's excluding the about 10 - 15kg's that I think I am overweight. I am 1.65 m tall and currently weigh 75 kg's. I am very depressed at this stage as I feel ugly fat and definately not in controll. I am so busy with the new baby that I forget to eat, and only eat one meal (at night) and maybe 2 cups of black coffee during the day. I am not hungry at all. I know I must eat to loose weight, but there is no time and if I have time to grab something it is usually a rusk or a slice of bread. Please help me as this is not helping anybody in the household if I am always in tears about my weight and have serious issues with it. Any suggestion will be welcomed.

Dear TC
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. I agree that you are overweight because your present BMI = 33,6. It would be good if you could start off by losing 10 kg which would give you a great boost emotionally. I am, however, worried from what you say that you are suffering from post-natal depression. This is a relatively common condition which occurs in many mothers after the birth of their babies. Depression is one of the most important causes of weight gain and inability to lose weight. I would recommend that you consult a clinical psychologist to find out if you are depressed and to learn more positive coping skills. I know that it is mind boggling to suddenly be responsible for another little person, but you need to organise your life and take your own life back into your own hands. Try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise - put baby in a pram and go for a brisk walk every day for 30 min. The exercise will not only promote weight loss, but also lift your mood.
Hang in there