Posted by: Dean | 2008/07/04

Weight loss after having baby

Hi. My baby is 10 weeks old & I'm exclusively breastfeeding. I've also been going to gym 5-6 times a week for a month now. My problem is that I'm constantly hungry, however my baby seems to have a very sensitive stomach and doesn't seem to tolerate it when I eat wholewheat bread, oats porridge, etc. (all the low GI foods) and cramps very badly. I have approximately 5 kg's to lose to get to my 'pre-pregnancy' weight. Any suggestions?

Dear Dean
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. It is wonderful that you are breastfeeding your baby - this is the single greatest gift you can give your baby which will ensure his/her good health for the rest of her/his life. You are already doing something positive to lose weight by exercising up to 6 times a week. I would not recommend that you go on drastic diets until you have completed breastfeeding. It may be a good idea to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you with a low-fat diet that will assist you to lose those last 5 kgs, without constantly being hungry and that also ensures that you and baby obtain all the nutrients you require. Otherwise you can try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), but add another 2 cups of fat-free milk or yoghurt per day to the permitted foods to provide the calcium you both need. I would also recommend that you click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI, because wholewheat bread and oats porridge are NOT low-GI foods.
Enjoy your baby

Posted by: Dean | 2008/07/05

Hi Kitty,

Thanks for message. I have a 3 year old son who I breastfed for 22 months, so I totally agree with you - breastfeeding is amazing. I love it, but I just want to fit back into my clothes again. I guess I was lucky with my first, only put on 11 kg and lost it within a month, this time I put on 16kg and have lost 11, so not that much to go I guess. I would never stop breastfeeding just to lose weight - not worth it. Will just continue with gym and try and eat healthy.

Reply to Dean
Posted by: kitty | 2008/07/04

Losing weight after baby. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but count yourself lucky. I still have 10 kg to go and my baby is 8 months! I am at pre-preg weight now but I was overweight when I became pregnant. Breastfeeding is so precious and over so quickly that I'd say forget the figure and be a mommy to baby Dean. You've got the rest of your life to lose weight but such a short time to breastfeed. There's nothing more beautiful than feeding your baby and wait until he's old enough to start playing while feeding. Keep on smiling :)

Reply to kitty