Question
Posted by: Peter | 2003/03/17

Weight loss a loosing battle???

I've been trying to loose weight for a while now. Have almost tried out every type of product in the market. I know that a weight problem can also be a 'mind thing'. The problem is that I am full of plans (drawing up graphs etc) but the motivation to keep up with my plans seem to disappear the moment I see food. I am also studying part-time and always knibble on something when I am busy with the swottings. I have competed in 2 half marathons and are about 30 kg overweight. I just feel that I am fighting a loosing battle and are usually very disgusted with myself after overindulging. Please help!!

Dear Peter
One of the reasons why you have not lost weight is probably that by using all those diet products you have landed in the Yo-Yo dieting trap. Every time you lose a bit of weight and then regain it, this will slow down your metabolism and make it even harder the next time around to lose any weight. The only thing that will help is to stick to a low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet') and to do regular exercise - gym, skipping running, swimming, cycling - anything that gets you active, as this will stimulate your metabolism. And stay away from all those pills and potions.
Take care