Posted by: wannabe | 2009/01/29

weight loss

For the last 11 days my calorie intake has been 1043, my hight is 169, my weight is 104, ny age 57. I do aquaexercises for 45mins 3x per week and play tennis (doubles)2x per week and my weight has not shifted a single gram. This is the story of my life. What more must I do? I was a very slender girl and young woman. Weight 62 at age 35. I have never been a big eater, I also sweat an enormous amount. I was recently diagnosed with under active thyroid but this has been controlled with diatroxin. Type II diabetes was diagnosed but this is kept under control without medication. Please help.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Wannabe
Your BMI = 36,4 which is very, very high. I trust that you are under the care of a clinical dietitian for your type II diabetes? If not, PLEASE consult a dietitian ASAP (Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will take your diabetes, hypothyroidism and other conditions such as overweight , into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. In cases where patients suffer from type II diabetes or insulin resistance the use of a low-fat, low-GI diet is essential to help control blood sugar and insulin levels and to reduce weight. However you need an individual diet prescription so see your dietitian.
The fact that you are doing regular aerobic exercise like aqua-exercises and tennis for 5 days a week is excellent -keep up the good work as this help you control your diabetes and also prevents additional weight gain.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.