Posted by: Lynne | 2008/09/05

Weight Loss

Good day

I am 29 years old, i think my height is 1.6 and i weigh about 100kg. I suspect that i need to lose about 40 to be a healthy weight, could you please advise what my ideal would be based on those indications. I am very determined. Also, i have been taking an anti depressant for over a year now. However i would like to use a weight loss program like GI Lean. Is this safe considering the anti depressants, i am going to talk to my doctor about assisting me in coming off them soon.

Thanks and kind regards

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Lynne
At present your BMI = 39 which is in the obese range. Just to get back into the overweight range with a BMI of 29 would require losing 26 kg. For a BMI within the normal range (for example of 23) you would need to lose 41 kg. Anyone who needs to lose in excess of 20 kg can consider using products like Xenical. Xenical is a real fat-trapper that prevents you from absorbing fat from what you eat. Xenical is, however expensive so it would help if your dr could motivate for this medication to be paid for by your medical aid. You would use the Xenical with a very-low-fat-diet and this will help you to start losing. So see if you can get Xenical prescribed seeing that you weight is endangering your health. Once you start losing weight and get more mobile you can ask your dr what type of gentle exercise you are allowed to do and get more active (e.g. going for walks every day). Ironically both depression and antidepressants can either cause massive weightloss or weight gain - depending on the individual patient and the specific medication. Do not stop your antidepressants on your own, but let your dr guide you in this as you may need to taper your dose or change to another product if it is the depression that is causing the weight gain.
Good luck with this programme

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.