Posted by: sammy | 2007/06/22

weight loss

My mom is 65 years of age and weighs only 45 kg. She eats quite healthy but has the bad habit of drinking luke warm water with honey and lemon, sometimes even with cinnammon. She is not on a diet but drinks this for some reason for her stomach. Can this be the reason she does not pick up weight just still loose weight no matter how much she eats. I am scared this habit can cause anorexia as she really looks bad and has to by clothes for herself at the kiddies wear.
Please help

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Sammy
It is always essential when a person loses weight without dieting to have a medical checkup to see if this is due to an underlying medical or psychological problem (e.g. depression which can cause pronounced weight loss), or conditions such as anorexia. Please persuade your dear Mom to see a doctor for a checkup. I am worried that she has a stomach condition that is making her lose weight. Drinking water with honey, lemon and cinnamon will not really cause weight loss. If she should suffer from anorexia, then she needs expert assistance. Anorexia, bulimia and orthorexia are Eating Disorders, which need to be treated with a team approach. Please consult a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you), to help you work out what underlying psychological problems are driving you to self-destruct and to learn most positive ways of dealing with these problems. You should also consult a clinical dietitian to assist you to get back to eating normally again. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. If you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911, or contact them on:
Get your Mom to go for expert help ASAP.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.