Question
Posted by: CURIOUS | 2007/06/18

WEIGHT LOSS

Hi, i am 35 yrs old and about 10kg overweight. I have a gym membership and can go 4-5 times per week. Please advise the type of exercise plan to loose weight. I'm not sure whether I have to apply weights as well. At the moment just want to loose the weight first, toning afterwards. Is that the correct way.

Hi Curious

You are correct - the idea would be to lose the weight then tone, though these are not necessarily two separate processes. They can be done simultaneously. So my advice, considering you are at the gym, is to check out the Programmes we have on the Fitness page of this site (on the left hand side), and choose one of the CARDIO based ones. It's the cardio that is best for weight loss, so something like a walking, jogging or cycling programme. But don't be afraid to swop exercises - if the programme says 30 minutes of cycling, for example, it's perfectly fine for you to do 30 minutes of aerobics, or even an hour of spinning if you can do it.

These programmes also have some weight training and that's where the toning gets done. So I would do one of these and see how it goes.

Ross