Question
Posted by: Skinny :( | 2007/06/13

weight loss

Hi Doc, im starting to get worried. Everytime i see somebody i havent seen in a week or so i get told im losing weight. ive been told by 4 people in the past 2 weeks that i have lost weight. i am 27, 1.6m and the last time i weighed myself it was 47kg. i eat a slice of toast in the morning before work, a rusk with coffee at 10, cup of soup and bread at lunch time and when i get home i have a full supper with the family. i eat takeaways on weekends and love my sweets, coke and biltong. i dont exercise at all, i am also not sick. why do you think i am losing weight? this has always been my eating routine since i left school. i have been under a lot of stress lately, relationship, exams, work etc but nothing that i felt i could not handle. do you think i should worry about this weight loss? is there something i can add to my diet to pick up weight?

Dear Skinny
Your present BMI = 18,4 which is very low and bordering on underweight. It would be good if you could gain some weight. To have an ideal BMI of 22 you would need to weigh 56 kg - quite a difference! It is probable that the stress you have been exposed to lately has made you lose weight, but it is always a good idea to have a medical checkup if you start losing weight without going on a slimming diet. Your present diet is rather minimalistic and not balanced. If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone Fresenius on (011) 545-0000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a meal supplement such as Fresubin, with or without fibre, at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week.
Hope you gain some weight