Question
Posted by: V | 2007/04/30

weight loss

please advise on the time and frequency of exercise using a stepper and torso-slider combined with stretching and crunches_i'd like to lose aprox. 2-3kg and tone esp. my tummy and abdomen.

Hi V

It depends what your current weight is, your previous history and your intensity of exercise. Time and frequency are two of the key ingredients, but intensity is the third, and it's really important. And in my experience, a lot of people make the error of either going too hard or too easy, and then either get injured or don't see progress. So you have to get that right, and it's difficult to describe exactly what that means without a detailed discussion. But I will say that your optimal duration is between 45 and 60 minutes, and optimal frequency is between 4 and 6 sessions a week. Whether you can do this with a stepper alone, i'm not sure. I would suggest adding a couple of other activities, like cycling, rowing, walking, jogging etc.

Finally, just bear in mind that with 2 to 3 kg to lose, you are not really looking for huge changes and so small things will make the difference - that means diet. And so it's vital that your diet is 100% right, otherwise all the training in the world won't help. So check that out too.