Question
Posted by: at loss | 2006/07/20

Weight Loss

I am a gout patient and have been under extreme mental stress
at work . Despite the above i have been maintaining more / less normal eating habits.

As a result of my gout i always keep a constant watch on my weight.

I recently checked and noticed that i had lost 3 kgs in a space of a week and a half ( the period i was most stressed ). Is this common for people under stress / could there be another underlying cause i need to explore. ?

The stress is being caused by an impending retrenchment

Dear At Loss
Stress can make one lose weight, however, it is always good to ask your doctor to just do a general medical checkup as any quick unplanned weightloss could be a sign of an underlying disease. If your blood tests and general exam is normal, you can stop worrying about this as well!