Question
Posted by: Lila | 2004/11/18

weight loss

My weight fluctuates heavily. i am very careful with what i eat ie no skins (chicken), hardly any fat, no chocolates, lots of vegies and white meat, vegatable schnitzels etc, and i play squash at least 3 times a week and go out dancing a lot. but i just look at food and i put on weight. i know about all the counting of calories, eating well, exercising and what my body needs. my body is making me quite unhappy some of the times. i am quite short so everything is squashed in a small space, which makes me look bigger. i would appreciate any advice that you have to give.

Dear Lila
It is possible that you may suffer from insulin resistance or another hormone imbalance, so you could have a medical checkup to see if your insulin, thyroid and female hormones are normal. If you should have an insulin problem then you need to consult a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area), who will work out a diet that keeps your weight under control and regulates your insulin levels by means of using a diet that has a low glycaemic index (GI). Also read the articles on the glycaemic index (GI) and click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes' (which is similar to insulin resistance) to obtain more information.