Question
Posted by: A | 2004/03/05

WEIGHT LOSS

My exercise program is as follows: Aquarobics 2X a week and yoga 2X a week. I have to lose 20kg. I am also eating more healthy and has lost 2 kg in the last 2 weeks. I want to know whether my exercise program is in order or should I also include something like spinning? When should one adjust your program? I do not like jogging and am battling with "shins pins".

It's really hard for me to say what changes you should make just like this. I really do think that a goal of 20kg is very high - it's going to take years, not months to do this. It's good that you have lost 2 kg so soon, but many dieticians recommend that you aim to lose at most 10% of your body weight. To lose 20kg, you would have to start at 200kg. However, aiming to lose small amounts over time will work. Now, looking at your programme, I'm a little worried that you are not doing enough high intensity training - yoga and aquarobics (and I'm sure to come under fire from yoga advocates) are probably not enough to cause drastic weight loss. I would guess that a lot of your 2 kg so far have just been achieved by diet - this is not a bad thing - the best thing for weight loss is diet, not exercise. However, I would suggest that you add in spinning to this programme - one session a week for now, but maybe aim for two eventually. If you can do this, then I am sure that you will see some great results.