Question
Posted by: shireen | 2004/01/28

weight loss

Dear Doc,
I have just started for the first time in my life training in a gym. I would appreciate you recommendation on exercises to loose weight around my hips and stomach.

I train 20 minutes on a threadmill and 10 minutes in the rower and I train 10 minutes cycling . I train 5 days a week . Is this enough. I have been training from December.

Dear Shireen

There is no such thing as spot reduction, so your best bet is to do a comprehensive programme that incorporates cardiovascualr training as well as overall toning. Go to the fitness page of this website and click on Shape up for Summer for some good ideas. YOu seem to be doing plenty of cradiovascular traiing currently, but toning will assist you in building up some lean tissue (muscle), which burns up more energy than does fat, making it easier to lose weight in the long term.

5 days a week is plenty of training!

Keep it up and also write to Dietdoc for some dietary advice to make sure you are eating optimally.