Question
Posted by: chris | 2004/01/26

Weight Loss

I am trying to lose weight, yet I have rapidly gained weight over the last 2 months. How do I know what type of diet & exercise is suitable for me? Is there some kind of test one does to find out? I have a friend who is quite overweight yet she does not eat alot or binge only to find out that she has an inactive thyroid gland. Is there some definite way of finding out what is suitable for me as it could be very frustrating having to go thru a number of different diets only to find out I was wasting my time and money.

Dear Chris
I would suggest that you have a medical checkup as a first step to determine if there are any underlying problems (e.g. low thyroid function, raised insulin levels, etc). If you are given a clean bill of health then you can try a balanced, low-fat, high-fibre slimming diet (click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy) and start doing exercise on a regular basis (join Walk for Life or a good gym), because to lose weight you need to reduce your energy intake and increase your energy expenditure. Fad diets do not work in the long run and can cause a variety of problems.