Question
Posted by: CD | 2004/01/15

WEIGHT LOSS

HI IM A 21YR OLD FEMALE AND AM DESPERATELY TRYING TO LOSE 15 - 20 KGS. I HAVE CUT OUT STARCHES AT DINNER TIME AND SWEETS ETC. WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP? THANKS

Dear CD
To lose weight you need to decrease your energy intake by eating a low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy) and expend more energy by doing regular exercise (start by walking slowly for 10 minutes a day and gradually increase the distance and time you walk). I would also recommend that you have a medical examination to see if you have problems with thyroid or insulin - if the latter is the case, then do consult a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area), who will assist you with planning a diet that takes the insulin resistance in account. Seeing that you have a great deal of weight to lose, I would also suggest that you ask your dr about Xenical if you are on a medical aid, as this medication is expensive. Xenical prevents you from absorbing fat from food (it is a real fat trapper) and it is used together with a very-low fat diet. It may just give you the start you need when it comes to losing large amounts of weight.