Question
Posted by: palesa | 2007/12/06

weight issue

Hi. Im so frustated and depressed about my weight. since March i have relocated and gotten married, i have been putting on weight every month ever since, im an emotional eater and i guess i was trying to cope with the new changes in my life.I have since gained over 10kg, I try to eat fruit and veges,including fish and chicken, occassionally i snack on chips and chocolates, especially when im down, i have not seen any change, in fact i seem to gain a kg a day, i feel suicidal and withdrawn, i drink lots of water and walk from time to time,please advice me, what should i do,I tried diet pills(apple cider and drops), no change,in fact i would get sick after a while, now its Xmas time,im terrified of all the food i would be offered at parties,family gatherings ect. please help

Dear Palesa
I think that you need to get some assistance from a clinical psychologist (check the telephone directory under 'Psychologists' or if you have a gp in your new location, ask him/her to refer you), to help you sort out what is causing your depression. Depression can cause pronounced weight gain and no diet is going to be fully effective until you have eliminated the causes of your depression. I would also recommend that you try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). This type of diet will help you lose weight and also increase the serotonin levels in the brain which make you feel more positive and prevent cravings. The exercise also contributes by producing chemicals called endorphins that lift your mood.
Please get some expert help from a clinical psychologist before you sink into a worse depression and gain even more weight.
Hang in there