Question
Posted by: mimi | 2008/01/16

weight increse in toddler

Hello,
My daughter is 27 months old and was born 2 months early. At her birth her weight was 3 pounds and 9 oz, her height was 16 " . Now she weights 22# 7 oz and her height is 34 ". She nursed for 2 years. At 18 months , she got Kawasaki , she is fine now since it got diagnosed early. Her DOC does not seem to be worried about her weight even if she is below the chart now. I love and trust her Doc but as a parent I see that she needs to gain more weight. I am always checking her weight and getting worried . It has been 5 months she is been gaining and losing some. So it is like we are stuck in 22 pounds.
Please any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks you,

Dear Mimi
I am sorry to hear that your lassie was premature and that she developed Kawasaki. Premature babies can take quite a few years to catch up their growth and weight. You will also find that her weight and growth will stand still of certain periods and then start increasing again. I think that you need to trust the Paediatrician in this regard and not stress all the time because young children feel when their mothers are stressed and this can be transmitted to them and also affect their food intake. I don't know where you live? in the UK perhaps? if so, you can ask you dr to refer your lassie to a dietitian who will help to assess her progress and set your mind at rest.
Best regards to both of you

1
Posted by: mimi | 2008/01/18

Dear DietDoc,

Thank you so much for your great feedback and quick reply. I really appreciate your advice; I will try my best not to worry much :)

Best Regards,
Mimi

Reply to mimi