Posted by: Lee | 2007/05/24

Weight Gain without affecting the hubby.

Hi Doc,
My wife is approx. 1.75m tall and 57kgs. She knows she is underweight and wants to put some meat on her bones. The problem is she is diabetic (dietary controlled) and also has issues with wheat and yeast, which limits what she can eat. She alsohas a fairly physically demanding job. I, on the other hand, am a cm or two shorter and weigh 77kgs. I have borderline high colesterol, which we think is hereditary as our diet consists of white meat, osterich, fish, veggies, brown rice, very little fat, etc. and I exercise regularly. We don't eat red meat, white rice, pasta or bread. Apart from eating seperate meals, how can my wife put on some weight without me piling on the kgs as well? She is currently taking a soya meal supplement. Oh, we both currently smoke, which doesn't help, I know! Any suggestions???

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Lee
It would help if you could both stop smoking, so do give it a try. Your wife is indeed underweight with a BMI of 18,6. For an ideal BMI of 22, she would need to weigh 67 kg, thus a gain of 10 kg. I have written a number of articles on 'Weight gaining', which you can access by clicking on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining'. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone Fresenius on (011) 545-0000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your wife's energy intake. Basically she needs to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much she eats at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to her regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If she uses a meal supplement such as Fresubin, with or without fibre, at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then she should gain 1 kg per week. By this method, your wife's weight gain regimen should not interfere with your energy intake.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.