Question
Posted by: CAPPY | 2003/03/05

WEIGHT GAIN WITH HRT

Hello DietDoc, please can you help? I am 42, on HRT for 12 months now and have gained 14kg. I eat All bran for breakfast, wholewheat sandwhich for lunch, 3/4 fruits per day, fish and veg or chicken and veg for supper. 4/5 cups of tea a day (no sugar). Go to gym 4 times per week for 40 minutes and just keep on packing on the kilos! The HRT has been changed by gynae so that it contains very low sugar content etc but still does not help. Desparate! Please give some advice.

thank you.

Dear Cappy
I must say that I am baffled by HRT having a sugar content. Seeing that it is supposed to contain hormones I really don't understand this sentence. Unfortunately any treatment with female hormones can cause weight gain as a side-effect. Your diet sounds fine to me and so does your exercise plan. I would suggest that you get a second opinion, because one option is to use a very low dose of HRT - just sufficient to prevent osteoporosis and post-menopasual symptoms, but not enough to cause pronounced weight gain.