Question
Posted by: Terri | 2004/10/09

Weight gain on the Pill

I am on a Pill called Genette, it is the generic of Diane. I take it for my skin. Since I have been on it I have put on weight and have been on a diet for a while now, but am struggling to loose those last kilo's. I heard that some pills cause weight gain, is this true of Ginette? I don't recall this being a problem with Diane. I changed pills because Ginette is half the price of Diane.

Terri

Dear Terri
Unfortunately both Diane and Ginette list weight gain as side-effects. I can only suggest that you reduce your energy intake slightly by cutting out fat and increase your weight expenditure by doing exercise. Discuss this problem with the prescribing dr as it may be possible to use another form of treatment for the acne which is not associated with weight gain.