Question
Posted by: Neo | 2004/02/06

Weight Gain in Pregnancy

I am 25 weeks pregnant and I know one can gain between 12 and 18 kgs during pregnancy. I only started showing last month and my weight gain is between 3 and 4 kgs. I feel great I exercise frequently, I eat quite well (although sometimes have a late lunch due to work commitments) but have a fruit or snack in between. When is the bulk of weight gained during pregnancy is it at the end or at the beginning? I am not that concerned as my sister didn't put on much weight until month 8 and that also probably about 6kgs in total and she had a healthy 3.5kg boy. I just want to see if anyone else has experienced this. My baby is very active she kicks and plays around quite a bit and at my last scan was growing well. Next appt is next week.

Weight gain varies from person to person. You will probably gain more weight from now on but, as long as the growth of the baby is okay, there is no need for concern.

4
Posted by: Neo | 2004/02/06

Thank for the responses. Much appreciated

Reply to Neo
Posted by: Belle | 2004/02/06

I gained 9 kgs with my son and until about 7 months nobody even noticed I was pregnant. In fact some people commented on how much weight I was loosing. He weighed 3.95kgs. In the last few weeks they start to gain alot of weight, about 150 - 200 grams per week, until then only the organs, skin and bones are developing.

Reply to Belle
Posted by: www | 2004/02/06

Hiya, I only started gaining weight at about 25 weeks and started showing then - I only gained about 8kg (or possibly less) during my pregnancy and had a healthy 3.3kg boy one day before his due date.

Reply to www
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/02/06

Hi Neo
I am one week behind you at 24 weeks. You can be so lucky only having gained 4kg!!! I have insulin resistance and really have tried to control this by healthy eating, but with that and all - and the odd biscuit and burger here and then, I have already gained 15kg!!!!!!!!
I'm expecting a boy and we have not weighed him at my last appointment, but I am seeing the specialist tomorrow for the detailed scan where they count the spine, check out the heart, etc. and will then see what he weighs. However my gynae did make a comment that he is a big boy.
I think your weight gain is much more realistic and healthy than mine - so keep on doing what your'e doing!!

Reply to Kippie