Question
Posted by: Anne | 2005/07/08

Weight gain in pregancy and why I cannot Lose it

I have picked up 27kg with my pregancy even though I follwed
a healthy eating plan . I do not know why I put on so much of weight . I had high blood pressure towards the end of my pregnancy. I am still battling to lose the weight and it is now 1year 3months .How can I prevent this in my next pregancy

Please help

Anne

Weight gain in pregnancy is not only related to the weight of the baby, but alos the placenta, amniotic fluid, increased muscle in the uterus, etc. You can expect to lose about 10 kg in the few weeks after the birth. The rest is stored fat and will take longer to lose. All you can do is stick to a diet and exercise program. The averge weight gain in pregnancy should be about 12 kg.

7
Posted by: Kippie | 2005/07/08

Hi all
Yes, weight is such a weighty issue!!!

I picked up 27kg in my last pregnancy and my son weighed 4.93kg when he was born.
I went on the high protein diet - THE DIET at our local pharmacy and managed to loose 33kg - so that is 6kg less than I weighed before falling pregnant.
It is a really easy diet to follow and you can still have your bacon and cappucino's. I still want to loose an additional 23kg. I have been off the diet for the past 3 months but will return in full force end of July.
I did not breastfeed at all and I returned to the 2 month injection (nuristerate) when my son was 6 weeks old.
I had alot of fruit juice whilst pregnant and according to my gynae that is the main reason for the weight increase.

Take care and hang in there - the weight will dissapear in due course (with a bit of effort from you ofcourse :-)_

Reply to Kippie
Posted by: Norma | 2005/07/08

I's so glad I'm not alone.
I have picked up a total of 28kg's during my pregnancy and I really ate healthy and did light excercise. I had alot of water and a bit of a high blood pressure the last few weeks of pregnancy. My boy weighed 3.8kg's at birth. He will be 1 in just a few days and I still have 10kg's to go. I haven't really tried a "diet" as I don't think diets work. I eat healthy, try to get some form of excercise, but nothing.
I'm so scared that this will happen again when pregnant (not that we are planning yet) that I actually don't want more children...... And this is really depressing me as I was never "fat" I wore a size 8 before I fell pregnant... now I have to wear a 12.........DEPRESSING!!!!

I read an article on why some woman pickup more weight that others and there is still no answer to this......

Try to do a search on "weight in pregnancy" you will find the article.

Good luck girls...... and please let me know if you found the secret....

Reply to Norma
Posted by: Charx | 2005/07/08

OMG...I've picking up weight not giving a care in the world thinking it'll all go away once I breast feed. Can u go on a diet while you breastfeed though? Anne this is really a wake-up call for me thanx for asking the question gal. Lee how long has it been for you?

Reply to Charx
Posted by: Lee | 2005/07/08

Yip, i breastfed till baby was 5 months and had to return..
Losing weight and breastfeeding works for some and not for others....

Reply to Lee
Posted by: Charx | 2005/07/08

Were you breast feeding girls?

Reply to Charx
Posted by: Lee | 2005/07/08

Hi there,

Hormones play a big role in pregnancy. You will find some woman pick up alot of weight and others virtually nothing. All you can try do is to follow a healthy eating plan and maybe do light excercise. I ate like a pig in my first trimester due to morning sickness i found my self constantly going to the fridge. In the 2nd trimester i started feeling great and ate very healthily. In my lastfew weeks i actually lost 1kg in one week. Apparently the baby uses your excess fats in the form of energy. Allin all i picked up 13kg and now struggling with 3kg i still need to loose. I think its all about your hormones unless of corse you just eat plain umhealthily.
Take care!

Reply to Lee
Posted by: mom24 | 2005/07/08

Are u on any specific contraceptives??
Similiar thing has happend to me..in totali gained 18kg.., when baby was born it weighed but 2.4kg, Tall and very thin. Could not actually believe it. My eating basically is the same but also 1year and 3 months after pregancy i only lost 8 kg. still 10kg more than before the pregancy. I'm currenlty using 3 mth injection, and plan to stop it by 18july. and use the pill, just to see what effect it has on my weight.

Reply to mom24