Question
Posted by: Aerdrie | 2004/10/13

Weight Gain from Muscles

Dear Fitness Doc

I have up-ed my exersise and have now been doing 40mins of intensive cardio every morning for the last month. I feel great and can feel my fitness improving.

My weight however is not going down. I was wondering how much muscle mass it is normal to gain on say a weekly basis? I have not been doing strength training in the last month - only cardio on gym machines - ski machine, step machine etc.

Aerdrie

It's not unusual to remain weight stable during exercise, and there are a few factors that can cause this. One is your current weight. It seems that there is an ideal body weight for each person, and the body is so clever that it knows just how to keep you there. So, it may be that you just have no weight to lose, and so from that point of view, you are better of going for toning and improved fitness and not worrying about the scale.

The second is diet - often people subconsciously increase the energy intake when training harder. Let's say you train harder and use a few hundred more calories a day - you have a little more to eat or drink, and it means that the balance is still there as if you didn't train harder. I am not saying you should count calories, I think that is risky and hazardous at best, but I would say be aware of what you are eating.

Finally, the point you raise - muscle mass does go up. People seem to have a conception that weight training causes muscle mass to rise, and cardio training burns fat. While this is largely true, you must remember that there is considerable overlap. So, let's say you are cycling, this means that if you are cycling along at 90 revs per minute this basically means that you are doing 90 contractions of the muscle per minute. Do this for 10 minutes and you have 900 muscle contractions, and so even though the force per contraction is low, you will still build some muscle. What i am saying is that even though you are not doing weight training, it's still feasible that you will gain some muscle by doing cardio.

Very importantly though, this is nothing to worry about. In fact, it's a good thing, and I guess the bottom line is that you must really focus on how fit you are, how you are feeling and perhaps how you are looking, rather than on the scale. Aim for centimeters not kilograms, and you immediately change your focus from weight to fitness and toning.

Keep up the good work, remember that it takes time, but have faith that you are on the right track!

1
Posted by: Aerdrie | 2004/10/14

Hi Fitness Doc.

Thanks so much for the info and the Encouragement.

Aerdrie

Reply to Aerdrie