Question
Posted by: C | 2006/04/11

Weight gain during pregnancy

I am about 14 weeks pregnant. I am 1,68m tall and weighed 65kg when I found out that I was pregnant. I have already gained 4kg's. Is this too much too soon?

Dear C
Congratulations on your pregnancy. If you started your pregnancy with a BMI = 25,8 (which is slightly above the upper value of normal weight), then you can gain up to 11,5 kg over the 9 months of pregnancy, or 1,3 kg per month. You are already nearly 4 months pregnant and I don't think your weight gain is excessive as it is less than 4,6 kg which is the permitted amount. Just make sure that you eat a balanced diet rich in fruit, vegetables, fat-free milk and dairy products, unprocessed grains and cereals, legumes and lean meat, fish (3x a week), eggs, and poly- or monounsaturated oils (olive oil) and margarine (eat oils and fats in small quantities). Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Eating throughout life' and read the articles on 'Pregnancy'.
Enjoy your pregnancy