Question
Posted by: Janet | 2003/03/13

weight gain due to deppression

Eventhough I follow a healthy eating plan religiously, DietDoc suggested that I may be unable to lose weight due to deppression. Is this possible and if so why?

Yes, Janet, Depression can indeed affect one's appetite, choice of diet, and weight. The control of appetite, like the control of mood, is a complex mechanism involving overlapping processes, chemical and hormonal. With depression, some people lose appetite and lose weight ; others gain appetite and gain weight. If you are indeed suffering from a Depression, it would be wise to get an opinion from an accessible shrink, and consider proper treatment for the Depression. And any therapist values a client who follows plans religiously !