Question
Posted by: lid | 2007/03/27

weight gain despite extreme exercise

I am now nearly 52 and have always been very fit, slim, weighing abiout 110 pounds. I am now training for the london marathon and am running average 40-45 miles a week.
I have stopped my periods and have found that I am flabby and wobbly around the middle and my clothes are tight, despite the running. is this inevitable or can i do anything about it? I also feel bloated a lot of the time. I am not eating more than I should.

Dear Lid
There is unfortunately a tendency for muscles to get slacker as individuals age, however with the type of training you are doing and your low weight I find it strange that you have developed a flabby tummy. The fact that you mentioned feeling bloated could indicate that you have a digestive problem (ulcers, gall bladder problems, irritable bowel disease (IBS), etc). It may be a good idea to have a medical checkup to find out what is causing the bloating and your clothes to fit too tightly (I think the 2 are related). If you do suffer from IBS or any other digestive condition then it would be a good idea to consult a dietitian. If you are given a clean bill of health then it may help to do targeted exercises like sit-ups to tighten the tummy muscles - this may even assist with your running.
Good luck for the marathon

1
Posted by: Juice | 2007/03/29

That is really depressing. Hang in there, eventually improvement will start showing

Reply to Juice