Question
Posted by: Brad | 2004/11/08

Weight Gain but Fat Loss

I'm a rugby player 185cm and 93kg. I'm in training for next season.
My aim is weight gain while also trying to reduce some body fat.
Cutting carbs after 4 is that one way of cutting down on body fat.
I train in the evenings so i thought that eating those carbs in the day would be more beneficial. Struggling to come up with some sort of eating plan. Very much in the dark. Please help.

Dear Brad
The best thing you could do to really get a proper diet worked out for you and your training programme specifically, would be to consult a clinical dietitian. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. You must ask for a dietitian who specialises in sports nutrition. Cutting carbs is not the way to go if you need lots of energy to train in the evenings. Click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles I have written on 'Sports Nutrition', esp the ones on carbs and protein, as this will help you to work out how much carbohydrate you need per day and also how much protein to build muscles.
Good luck with the training