Question
Posted by: Lizelle | 2004/11/12

WEIGHT GAIN BEFORE PERIOD

Since I've had my son, my body changed quite a lot. For the past couple of months, during the week before I'm suppose to have my period, my weight goes up, between 2-3 kg. Is this normal. I have noted that I battle to get my rings on in the mornings during these times. Am I retaining water and is this normal during your period? I am very weight conscious and this is making me very depressed. I was also bulimic for about 7 years, but overcame that. What are the longterm damage which I have done eg. metabolism etc, and will this ever go back to normal on its own if I continue eating a balanced diet.

Dear Lizelle
Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) or water retention before, during or just after menstruation is a well-known phenomenon in some women. You should discuss this with your doctor or gynae as the use of a mild diuretic for these days of the month may make all the difference. Also ask the dr to check for female hormone imbalances. Taking vitamin C complex is also often useful as some studies show that some women with PMS have a vit B6-deficiency. It is better to take B complex vitamins as they work better in combination. A calcium supplement is also believed to help in this situation. Take a supplement that contains both omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids as an imbalance in these essential fatty acids is implicated in PMS. Get sufficient rest and sleep during the pre-menstrual period and do regular exercise all month.
It is difficult to say what precise damage your bulimia may have caused. The most common side-effect is damage to tooth enamel caused by repeated exposure to stomach acid. Your basic metabolism may have been affected because repeated bouts of gorging followed by 'starvation' when you remove food by vomiting may have deranged your metabolism in similar fashion to someone suffering from the yo-yo dieting syndrome. However, if you are feeling well and have had a successful pregnancy, then it is also possible that you have not got any long-term effects. I am just glad that you have overcome this dreaded disease.