Question
Posted by: ScarlettB | 2006/07/25

Weight Gain and Nuzak (Fluoextine)

I wonder if you might be able to tell me if there is a definite relationship between weight gain and taking this Antidepressant?

I have just been prescribed a dose of 20mg to be taken once daily in the morning. I have lost 20kg over a period of 18 months, and still have 8 more to lose. I am on a balanced eating plan. I am terrified that this drug may stall my weightloss or cause me to regain some.

Thank you.

I would really appreciate your advice on this.

Dear Scarlett
Firstly congratulations on losing those 20 kg - you are a bright ***star***. I looked up Nuzak in my copy of MIMS and it lists 'weight loss' as a side-effect, but makes no mention of weight gain, so this medication should not affect your weight negatively.

4
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/09/09

Hi. My dr prescribed Nuzak for me I have been using it for 3months now and I gained about 20kg! I'm now more depressed about this weight and I js keep on gaining every mnth.do youu think I should increase myy dose to 60mg as it is for people with bulemia?this weightt gain has become a huge problem for !

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/09/09

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/03/11

Hi im on Nuzak , dopaquel and Rivitrol for severe insomnia and have gained 40 kg's in just 4 months - I hardly eat anything and exercise like crazy and yet the weight just piles on Needless to say im so depressed now that I have gained all this weight and cannot loose it PLEASE HELP

Posted by: Michelle | 2006/07/26

I was on nuzak earlier this year and lost alot of weight. I only used it for 2 months.

Reply to Michelle