Question
Posted by: nafi | 2002/12/09

weight gain and giving up nicotine

I'm really worried about picking up weight after giving up cigarettes. i want to go cold turkey - no gum or patches and i'm worried that if i give up the cigarettes i'll pig out. I already have an issue with what i eat. Help

Dear Reader
Well done that ou have taken this important decision. You need to be aware of the dangers and make provision for the fact that you may want to nibble all the time. Eat low-fat, high-fibre foods like carrots, celery, baby tomatoes when you get the urg. Chewing artificially sweetened chewing gum will also help as does having a glass of water when you get the urge. Click on 'Diet & Food' and 'Weight Loss' and 'Slimming Diet' to obtain a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre diet which you can use to prevent weight gain. Start with an exercise programme before you quit so that you can be motivated not to nibble and to burn up more energy (skip, swim, cycle, jog, run, walk, join a gym).