Question
Posted by: TBRS | 2008/01/22

Weight gain and diet

I have put on 20 kilos in just on 18 months and ould not figure out why as I am a healthy eater and do regular exercise. Long story short it was discovered by my gynae that I have an inactive thyroid, amnow on Eltroxin.05mg, and I am insulin resistance (this confuses me as I don't really understand this much) and I am taking 3 x Glucophage 500mg a day. I go to gym 5 times a week and have a programe I follow like the clockwork. I have endometrosis and have PCOS syndrome.

My first question is which is the best 'diet' or food to eat. Woudl a low GI diet be rigt for me and which would be the foods to stay away from totally.

Second question, do i have to stay away from sugars?

Thanks for your help and this fantatsic forum.

TBRS

Dear TBRS
Thank you for your compliments - much appreciated. Now you really do have a problem - actually a set of problems what with the insulin resistance and the PCOS and the hypothyroidism - so it is no wonder that you gain all the weight so fast. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your insulin resistance, medications and other conditions such as overweight and PCOS, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. It is wonderful that you are doing exercise 5 times a week, because aerobic exercise helps to lower blood sugar and insulin levels, promotes weight loss and generally helps you to stick to your diet. To answer you specific questions: the dietitian will instruct you that it is important to stay away from all foods and beverages that contain high levels of fat, high levels of high-GI carbs and are very high in energy. Small quantities of sugar are permitted in the low-fat, low-GI diet primarily to make foods palatable, but once again the dietitian will work out how much sugar you could use as part of your low-fat, low-GI diet prescription. The good news is that if you can lose the weight and increase your physical fitness the symptoms of insulin resistance can be turned around.
So hang in there

1
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/04/26

i want to gain weight....please provide me with diet dat i can use to gain weight...