Question
Posted by: Annie | 2004/10/01

Weight Gain and Cilift

Dear Doc. I am 37 years old and after having my son, who is no 2 years 6 months I have been struggling deperately to loose the excessive weight. I've used just about any dietary suplement, followed numerous diets, but only manages to loose a few kg's and the minute I start eating normal I pick it all up in a matter of days. I've never been a big eater, but allow myself 3 small meals a day. I started suffering anxiety attacks whilst driving and my doctor prescribed Cilift 10mg a day. Since using it, I started about 3 months ago, I've blown up like a baloon. What can you suggest. I am currently on a dry toast, black coffee, Green salad and meat diet. I drop close on to a kilo a day, but if I just have a normal supper I pick up 1.5 kg.

Dear Annie
My copy of MIMS lists weight gain or loss as side-effects of this medication. I do think that your present diet is very restrictive and may lead to deficiencies. Because you seem to have a metabolic problem I would like to suggest that you a) discuss the effect the Cilift is having on your weight with the prescribing dr to see if you can't use an alternative that does not affect your weight b) ask your dr to send you for tests to see if you have insulin resistance c) consult a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will work out a diet for you that helps you to lose weight and control your insulin levels. Also try to do regular exercise (join a gym or Walk for Life) because exercise helps with weight loss, stabilises insulin levels, and makes you less stressed.