Posted by: Megan | 2008/08/07

Weight gain

My 7 yr old son has recently been put onto Concerta and is eating half of what he normally eats. His diet is very healthy but my problem is that he is alreday quite low in weight (18kg' s) for his age and I am concerned that he is going to lose weight on this medication. What can I give him to help him gain weight without having to feed him more. Do you have a recipe for a weight gain drink or something similar?

Dear Megan
It is essential that the dr who has put your son on Concerta should monitor his growth (both increases in weight and height) because this type of medication can suppress normal growth. It is thus important that you return to the dr and tell him/her about the fact that your son is eating so little. The dr will have to adjust the medication or provide an alternative. There are many products on the market that can be used to increase weight, but I would firstly take him back to the dr because the medication is having this negative effect on his growth. I have written some articles on the subject of weight gaining. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles.